Sign In  |  Register  |  About San Ramon  |  Contact Us

San Ramon, CA 55℉
July 21, 2017 5:32am
7-Day Forecast | Traffic
  • Search Hotels in San Ramon

  • CHECK-IN:
  • CHECK-OUT:
  • ROOMS:
  • Compare Our Rates To

Fire In Electrical Wires Burns Debris At Market And Restaurant

Submit A Story
Share |
NOVATO (BCN)

Arcing electrical wires that were chewed by rats started a fire at a Novato market late this morning, a Novato Fire District battalion chief said.

The fire at the El Palmar Restaurant and Market in the 1100 block of Grant Avenue smoldered in the back wall of the market and burned debris and garbage inside the base of the wall, Battalion Chief and Novato Fire Marshal Bill Tyler said.

The fire's toxic smoke damaged stored food and the Environmental Health Department was called to make an inspection, Tyler said.

Firefighters responded to a report of smoke at the market around 11:45 a.m. Employees from the market and patrons and employees of the adjacent restaurant were evacuated.

The fire response closed Grant Avenue between 1st and 2nd streets during the lunch hour, fire district spokeswoman Sandy Wargo said.

Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to search through walls and the ceiling for additional flames. The blaze was under control at 12:24 p.m. No injuries were reported.
Recent Stories
» Itís a Scream: First Monte Vista Haunted School House Fundraiser
» Adams Safetyís San Ramon Training Center has Moved to a New Location
» Man Pleads Not Guilty To Stabbing, Killing Man Over Cigarette
» Organization Needs 3,000 Turkeys For Thanksgiving Dinners
» Vehicle Pursuit Leads To Discovery Of Drugs For Sale Thursday
» Man Shot In Leg In Apartment
» Firefighters Respond To 1-Alarm Structure Fire This Morning
» Police Investigating Home Burglary
» Friday Morning News Roundup
» Federal Prosecutors Collect $327M From Criminal, Civil Actions This Year